Sunday, October 10, 2010

From dole to (job) role (Mozart concerti in the sunset)

I have finally decided to consider the plan for the coming days, with regard to my job offer. Most of my day has involved tasks that were pre-scheduled irrespective of the job offer I got. I try to continue as if I don't get the offer of those interviews I have, it tends to keep me productive instead of waiting on bated breath (although there was some of the latter this week and last).

So, the process from JSA to job goes something like this:

  1. Go to Job Centre (they will inform me of more details I think)
  2. Call for GP/nurse appointment RE: immunisations
  3. Wait until thursday to recieve payment of JSA, then order a Basic Disclosure form
  4. Wait two weeks
  5. Apply for Job Grant from job centre. The job grant is a £100 grant (interest free) that helps tide things over between finishing JSA/benefit payments to starting a new job. There will probably be a 3 week interval between when I start a job and when I actually get paid.
In a sense, although the good news has come, there are still more (but minor) little processes to go through in order to get into the cycle of working. I'm a little anxious, I'm anxious because £100 isn't very much money, I'm anxious knowing that once my JSA stops there will be a moment when I stop getting paid and I'll need to rely on my resources to fund me until I get my next payment into the bank.

Other things coming up this week:

  • Hear back from the counselling centre
  • Oppurtunities to go to BBC recordings
  • Intern day
  • Try to go to a munch (if I can afford it)
  • Jog
  • Applications
I think that all these activities will lead to a culmination of something, maybe a better me; maybe a happier me, maybe a more learned me. In either case, I just hope that this will improve my general situation. My uncle and aunt have come to visit just now (I'm being unsociable and blogging, interspersed with going downstairs), they are happy for me that I've got this new job. It's probably going to be 3 weeks before I start 'working' and earning. Hopefully I'll have my first pay check by the end of november by that rate, just enough money I hope for Christmas. Maybe not enough for a laptop. Sharing the good cheer is perhaps the most I can do. I'm thankful for this job. This is the best fortune i've had in a very long time.

Isn't the sunset beautiful?

No comments: