Monday, July 22, 2013

Storm and Trembling

Recently I have been very interested in classical period piano music. Specifically, that of Mozart and a lesser extent, Beethoven sonatas. I feel there's something 'geometric' about it, there's something that feels formalistically united and I find a certain beauty to the order and balance within such music. I am really attracted to the idea of musical order, maybe because I seek such order in my mind and I feel like in some 'spiritual' way

I find something interesting about that period of music. There's inklings in poetry of the human condition experiencing a loss of order, a quasi battle between the sense of order and cleanliness, against human emotion and passion. In Romanticism, human feeling wins over against form, in Baroque, formalism reigns supereme, but in the classical period, they have equal and dual supremacy. Okay so that's a bit of an overstatement.

Anyway ...I'll just do some errands before I'm off to work. Maybe find some Beethoven in my mp3 player. I really want to play some Beethoven now!

No comments: