Saturday, March 13, 2010

It's like school again

THe mentality of the cohort of the young person's guarantee scheme is much like school with the ritualistic behaviours. Ignoring the instructor, talking over hi, talking abck to him, being generally rude, and unhelpful to them are the attitudes de jour.

I've also come to consider my own role in that cohort. Am I being annoyed simply because I am following the group, or am I genuinely pissed off at being here?

I find some days with the group helpful, they go through courses and ways they can help. On thursday I learned about health and safety. The others were not in a mood to learn, always questioning how this would help them have a job. I thought to myself your attitude isn't helping you find a job. As their attitude wore off on me, I felt this resonate very strongly with me. I felt a stronger need to get out of there.

I was the ingratiating type in school. I learned, but I was also the joker before I discovered my academic side. I was all about making everyone laught in the class. I was just like them. In some ways I still am, I see myself in these poor unfortunate people. Perhaps thats why, despite all i've been through, I'm still in the bottom set for maths again.

No comments: