Saturday, March 13, 2010

Being around other people again

At the Job centre, I've been around people again. Job seekers. They are all aged between 17-24 and I find that very disconcerting. They are all different people and are looking for different jobs. They are normally people who seemed like social outcasts, or that the education system forgot, or that got into their own trouble in their adult years. One girl looked like she was actually on heroin; no makeup, blackened features, extremely thin and utterly dischevelled. All she seemed to talk about were her family illnesses and how abusive her dad and mum are/were. I think that says more than anything I could interpret.

A few of the other guys had criminal records. I suppose in a diverse world you have all sorts. Many were actually white english, which, in my area, is quite unusual to come along. None of them went to university excepting myself and one other guy (currently doing community service). There was a guy who seemed okay, he's 19, just out of college and chose to do a gap year at the worst time in the century. He wore this leather jacket and all black, like every other gamer-geek guy i've ever known at university with limited social skills who hides among their own group. I suppose I was a little bit like that (sans jacket).

I like to analyse these people. One girl had a gambling addiction, another guy looked like my friend David (see previous posts) and one guy seemed to have such poor social skills that he was all about hypermasculine bravado and being a smart alec. Part of me feels that these guys dont deserve derision, another part of me feels that they aren't trying hard enough. They were all complaining about the course, and that upset me seeing their negativity. It certainly rubs off on me.

I had initial apprehensions about this cuorse, and I still do. But when I think that this is a condition of job seekers, and that they are trying to help; I try to put my criticisms aside. The agency advisors have a hard job, and these guys complaining all the time and being so obviously rude (I feel like the Jesuits were like a finishing school, now...).

No comments: