Sunday, August 15, 2010

Silences and noise

My life is filled with noise. From the pumping bass of downstairs as my parents are busying themselves; to the pumping bass from my own room. I often like to keep a music player on, my computer, my MP3 player...

I've kept my MP3 player on my person constantly for years. Before that was my CD player, my famed old sony CD player. I thought it was pretty cool for its time. Of course, by then, CD players were a dying and obsolete breed. It was the greatest CD player of its fledgling generation.

Anyway where was I? I rarely let the silence in to my head. Or, just uncontrolled noise. I can enjoy the clattering of the keyboard as I type, the playing children outside, planes passing by, or the wind and rain, oh, I also hear an Ice cream van nearby too.

I sometimes think of ideas, and then I think nothing of it. Sometimes I have the same idea more than once and I think to myself, 'oh I really should get to doing that'. And then nothing happens. The purpose of my Google Calendar is to systematise all of thsoe thoughts that I have, and to keep committment to previous thoughts I once had like 'oh I should check on jobs with the british museum once every 3 weeks'. I feel that such an organisational system keeps my thoughts organised and keeps my life organised. It also keeps me infirmed a bit.

I typed some long ass paragraph about how I came to be this organised from a previous state of disorder and depression. But the computer froze and I lost 12 minutes of typing time. So, I'm not going to bother. What I will say is this: fuck.

Sound can be a distraction too. I often take up too much of my concentration in listening to music or podcasts or audiobooks. As a masters student, one of the tasks I put off was 'look into PhD options'. My computer seems to have a few more problems to add to its list. I've determined that it will take until mid October until I am able to purchase a new laptop. In all irony, it will probably be a Q3 2008 model. That is funny, considering my current laptop is about a Q3 2007 model product.

Right, I'm going to look into a local aikido or yoga class. I need more interests. Maybe massage class too...

No comments: