Monday, August 16, 2010

The amateur expert

Since I started jogging over a year ago, I suddenly became an amateur expert on health matters. Not enough to be a proper expert, but enough to put things in conversations that sound clever. There's acertain type of person, who after a lot of fitness starts spouting off things about calories and weight and BMI and so on. In a sense it should be common knowledge really, but given the amount of obesity in the UK I do not think that it is.

I'm collating my calorie data from the walk I've just had, and it's dawned on me that I'm so ritualistic about these details. Apparently I think that 3000kcal burned is a lb lost if it isn't recovered by food. I must lose weight by burning more than I put in. I must have recovery days and its always important to work out.

If I weren't so fat I'd be a health nut. Despite all the sciency sounding facts, it really is a matter of will, of mind over matter. Anyway. I better have a shower.

No comments: