Sunday, September 1, 2013

That was the life that was: remembering David Frost

Saw this story in the news today: David Frost has died

 

I want to tell you a story. When I was in my second year at uni, when the anxiety was really bad, I would have lots of little rituals. I would listen to LBC radio to remind me of home, to make me feel like I was still at home. I would listen to newsnight on the bbc website. Back in the days before Iplayer this was. I also used to love watching Breakfast with Frost. It would make my anxiety go away for just a brief period of time. I loved the way that listening to Frost's voice, and the routine of a sunday morning could happen in my mind, just by listening to that show. I would feel like I could connect to the world outside my head, and find out things that were going on in the world. I would find great comfrot in his news and that show. It wasn't the same when Andrew Marr took over. 

 

I remember when the show ended as he retired from the BBC, I felt very sad. It was as sad to me as ending the counselling with Maggie. 

 

I'll miss him. That was the life that was. 

No comments: