Sunday, April 18, 2010

Worn down, used up

No I'm not describing myself, however if you think that's an apt description I wouldn't disagree.

I've gained about 5lbs from overeating between friday and saturday; namely, in the form of chinese food; and I am invited to a barbeque today! FUCK! How am I going to deal with this one? Social eating is the biggest nightmare in the world. You are pressured to eat, and the food is always lovely and scrumptious (in other words, unhealthy). The family that invited us are very good cooks and they know a cake maker who will almost certainly have a beautiful scrumptious cake for the birthday. This doesn't bode well for me.

In other news I have been considering the status of my wardbrobe. I remember when I started this blog in the early days; I had a lot to say very eloquently so on the issue of what I wore and what other people wore, I was cruel and heartless but nonetheless accurate.

My favourite blue cords are worn down around the groin. I have lovely smart navy blue corduroy trousers which are completely whitened out and ground down to a thin slice of its former dark blue glory. The Trousers won't last very long and further to that; I am running out of style options. I seem to be relying on my 'backup' clothes. I don't have a mainstream style anymore. I seem to be losing my aesthetic focus. Right now, for instance; I'm wearing a white thermal vest that I got from primark for about £1; not glamorous but its functional and quite nice. I am also wearing my uni-qlo jogging trousers. I love those, I got them last winter and they are comfy, smart (at least for jogging), thick and quite masculine looking. They are also plain; no three-stripes or nike-ticks. I used to be really into the brand management thing, back before I was a teenager. If I didn't get influenced by the jesuits I would almost certainly have become a chav.

I look behind me at my corduroy trousers laid on my bed. I feel a bit of sadness. I've often said that it is a bit sad when products last longer than relationships. Just earlier this week I had to bin a christmas pudding that my brother's ex bought for the family. My cords belonged to a past era, an era when I was proud, and perhaps arrogant. I thought it would last forever but it didn't.

My trousers represent me. I'm worn down, ground up from greatness to nothing. Challenged and threatened by the grinding inevitability of mediocrity, I persevere but I am a different person after being ground down. What will become of my trousers, as its groin continually faces a battling process of eradication.

If I keep wearing those trousers of the past, I'll eventually tear, right where I dont want a tear; my groin. My groin, the heart of any good pair of trousers. With corduroy trousers, the groin is especially important as it cannot be sewn up, once the thread of the cord lines are worn down to white; its game over for the life of those trousers. They need to change, and so do I. I need to change my clothes and my life, my outlook and my aesthetic values. Its just not working right now.

Solutions:

1. Lose weight
2. Change
3. Feel positive

Results:

1. Happier body
2. Less inadequacies
3. Healthier mindset
4. Refreshing change

No comments: