Thursday, April 29, 2010

Buying a new AC adaptor, and the cute russian girl

I've had a few worries this week. One thing that I wasworrying about was money, and my lack of it. I really ought to go less to mcdonalds and chinese takeaways and such.

Another worry is my laptop. My great elite laptop from the glorious days when I was a masters student; is now a rickety old relative who is on their last legs. The AC adaptor lead has a temperamental loose wire and you have to put it in a certain way for it to work. This laptop has seen me through good times, bad times, worse times, okay times, and hard times.

Yesterday I think I applied to two jobs, one I nearly applied to but did not quite finish. I have lots to do on my job hunt schedule. I've found some of the people on the YPG varied from nice; to quiet, then nicel; to nice, then quiet/non-social; from nice and chatty to provincial and bitchy; from initially threatening to nice; from initially threatening to nice to horrid; from scary to okay, then to funny, then to shardenfreuder when she sat on the table that broke.

I should be more quiet, I have been less quiet in the past few days. From my experience of watching big brother, I have found that everyone takes a role in social situations and everyone comes to take sides. I'm not interested in taking sides. I just want to get on with things and if the social environment was just a little bit more bearable that is good too.

Oh yes I remember now what my other worry is. The book reader from the early limbo days is on the fritz. The 'off switch' doesn't work; even though its the same as the on switch (which works). I hope its just a software error. So, to resolve my worries about the computer, I checked out the technical electrical spec of the AC adaptor and bought a new one. One less worry in my life for now. I really need more than a band aid solution. I need a new laptop. I just simply can't afford it now. And being reminded of that hurts.

I started chatting to this girl on one of the social networking sites I'm on. You won't believe how much she impresses me. It's rare for anyone to impress me, and its romantically special for it to be a girl who possibly likes me too. She's eloquent, exotic, cultured, knowledgeable, well read and accepts all of my weirdness. She's a PhD student with russian roots and travels a lot. She just left london and she's probably doing russian fieldwork or something.

I know a relationship isn't possible or desirable, with her or with anyone right now; but just knowing that someone cute and special and cultured and a little bit disjointed like her exists, makes me feel optimistic about the future. Its not too unreasonable to want a girl like myself. I just forget that they exist.

I have been dreading writing a post as it's been a few days. But I must admit. That was pretty fun to write, and I feel positive now.

Okay. I'm off to reed now, applying to jobs. Wish me luck. And healthy bowel movements.

No comments: