Thursday, March 17, 2011

To gym or not to gym? (another of these posts...)

I have written this same post probably twice now but this is very poignant in my thoughts at the moment.

I'm trying to decide whether to gym it today or not. Reasons for:

  • I have a belly, as long as I can still stand and as long as I still have a belly, I must work out
  • I have a newfound sense of motivation and the only way to feed motivation is to do that thing I want
  • It makes me feel great to work out
  • If I work out today, that will be my third session of the week, making tomorrow my fourth session and I will have hit my target for the day
Reasons against:

  • By the time it comes Thursday late afternoon (when I get home from the office), I will have worked three days in a row, one of those days involved a 5am start.
  • I'm a bit tired
  • Its important to pace myself
  • I have a personal trainer session tomorrow, if I go in on an empty tank I'm not really showing myself. The point of the (final) session tomorrow is to show the difference between when I started gyming it and now, whether my arms are bigger or my belly is smaller etc. They will also test my cardiovascular fitness, which in turn I need to preserve for tomorrow to give a representative sample of my best performance. 
  • I've got lots of stuff to catch up with, and its not the kind of thing I can do later.

The verdict? Well I probably will really decide when I finish work. I am edging towards the 'no' camp. The reasons against are convincing, but the sense in my head of wanting to really push myself is strong.


No comments: