Saturday, March 19, 2011

Ritual is better than nothing

Often my dad, or I often hear other people make the comparison of 'better than nothing'. If something is flawed in some way, we might appraise the good bits of it by saying it's better than nothing. I find often that this is not the best comparison. If we are comparing a successor to a predecessor, the latter is the relevant point of comparison. If we are taking something entirely new, then I suppose 'nothing' is the relevant comparison.

I've not been too productive lately. I think this is fair to say. On balance this week was filled with two days of working, one (final) day of interning, and three sessions of gym training. I have half the mind to go today. Dobby asked me out today, I sorta cut our conversation short yesterday so I couldn't conclude that we'd go out today. I guess that means we aren't going out today. I kind of like her, but I'm also scared of liking her. That's me being a pussy because I'm scared of success.

I guess I'm too used to failure. I know failure so well that success is unfamiliar, and I'm scared of the unfamiliar. Today is a lovely and sunny day, its the kind of day that a person should seize and take as their own. I'm slightly thinking whether to gym it today. It would be desirable and it would hit my target of a 4th workout this week. On the other hand I surely have other things to complete this week. For the following week, and probably the following month, I'm not going to have much work going on. As such I should probably get on with the important stuff of job applications.

So far I've read like a few dozen GReader articles on my RSS feed. I'm probably about half way there but there is still a whole lot more to go. It's a bit of a grind and almost a pointless excercise as well. I wonder why I apply myself to such tedium in my life. I guess its more productive than playing xbox all day and night, which is partly what I want to do.

I seem to be a reading machine, I wish I was a success machine, or a calorie machine (the good kind). I've noticed, objectively speaking, that my health and fitness has gone up a few bars. I still have a lot more work to do. That seems to be my mantra lately: I still have a lot more work to do. That was my mantra last night. I guess that since I have a set of tasks that are lined up before it means I am not uncertain what to busy myself with.

Back to ritual, I guess...

No comments: