Sunday, February 27, 2011

Anxiety of confrontation

Considering the pattern of the past two months, I think that I've got a pretty good thing going over the past week or so. I'm regularly going to the gym, I am reasonably enough sending some applications (of course a lot more would be desirable) but I have found the past few weeks troubling for the following reasons:

  1. Since joining a new gym, I've had to factor in a new set of tasks to accomodate all the other things I'm doing. I'm never good in principle with taking on new tasks exaclty because of my fear of not getting it done
  2. I've made a task of clearing GReader items as individual reading tasks. This makes my calendar look a lot more full, but in practice it is a lot more workable than not remembering to read articles after 3 months.
  3. I've been playing a lot of xbox and watching a bit of TV. In short, I've been embracing a little less ascetic life and more involving myself with the real world (okay, so Halo: Reach isn't exaclty part of the real world, but I am getting back to my interest in gaming)
I have scheduled a task that is causing me a bit of anxiety. I need to write a letter of notice that I want to leave my internship. I've been in a 2 month internship for, what, 9 months? I want to leave because of the obviously illegal nature of the work I'm doing (that is, unpaid work is illegal). I think its high time I go, in addition I feel a bit anxious there. Call me paranoid but I feel a little self conscious that many people in the management are nearly my age, and there I am like some spotty 19 year old intern. The thing is, I'm not 19, I'm going to be 25 soon, and I need to act a bit more like one. The work experience was great, but now I need to move on. This is going to weigh in heavy on my mind, but I need to do it. I'll give her 2 weeks maybe. I've set myself to do it on monday or tuesday. This is a little scary. Its like back in 2009 when I was sending all those emails which terrified me.

I wonder if I've really moved on since those days. I remember the terror and pain and angst and sense of loss from those days. In a sense it never went away, if anything, it is everything that I've defined myself in response to in the past two years. The anxiety of confrontation, the anxiety of what happened.

No comments: