Thursday, September 6, 2012

awkward guys at spinning class

came back from spinning. Had a protein shake, with soy milk this time. God it was panacea to me after that session. Really hard today, wore my tough guy vest since I was wearing it all day today. There was a feminist moment of realisation today, when these two guys came into the class, all acting tough, talking (presumably) Gujurati to each other really loudly over the instructor's teaching. I think it made people feel uncomfortable. There was a moment when I thought maybe these guys were just feeling kinda bro-like after a weights session. I totally understand that feeling, but you have to respect that its communal space.

 

There was a moment when one of the guys took his shirt off and I was thinking to myself: this is an example of what Garfinkel would call 'breaching'. Another part of me thought: man, I wish I could do that too! The instructor (female) wasn't impressed and she felt very uncomfortable at the attitude of the men (feminist moment). I realised how their impact and sense of hypermasculinity (which, by the way I can relate to) was being at the level of complete dickhead-ery. One of the guys later left the class early before the warmdown, in fairness another of the women did this and I could see in the instructor's face that she wasn't happy about it.

 

I kind of like the instructor, she has cool tattoos, plus she is a little bit cute. I also like that she's a real taskmaster and puts me through pain. I kind of like having an instructor who is closer to my age. More relatable, the other instructors at the gym (pilates body balance) are very much more of the 'working mother/wife/real life career woman' sorta vibe. Which is cool, but that's definately not me as a male equivalent. I wish it would be though. Maybe one day I could get a proper job, find a girlfriend and settle down. Maybe we could be polyamorous.

No comments: