Friday, September 30, 2011

I'm having an anger trigger. I'm going to answer some questions from a website to try and work through it:

 What am I reacting to?

  • I'm angry about the fact that I've been invited to an interview, where there will probably be loads of people who are 21years old and will probably get the job and I won't I'm angry at the fact that its for an unpaid internship that won't help me in any way at all. I'm angry for the fact that this is the only hope I have
  • What is it that's really pushing my buttons here?

  • I'm angry at the fact that I've not had a proper job since finishing university, and all my friends are successful. It's not for want of trying. Every interview I get doesn't lead me closer to the goal, I just feel like I'm wasting my time, and I'm wasting my effort with optimism. I'm angry at the fact that I'm from a working class background and nothing is working for me.
  • Is this fact or opinion?

  • Some are facts, some are interpretations. Fact: I've not had a decent paying job that can make me independent. Fact: Graduates from 2011 would be 21 years old. Opinion: Optimism is useless, I did get an interview. Opinion: I feel like I'm not welcome because I'm older than most of the graduates. Opinion: I feel worthless because I haven't had a proper job and that I've become stale, or that I've lost my hope.
  • Am I getting things out of proportion? 

  • I don't know to be honest. I'm still feeling really angry, and I'm really pissed off at the fact that this organisation didn't let me in last year.
  • How important is this really? 

  • I need to work. Having a job makes all the difference in the world: AND THIS IS FOR AN UNPAID INTERNSHIP
  • How important will it be in 6 months time? 

  • Depends: will I get a job? Will I get the internship? I feel that the answer to at least one of them is no. I feel the answer to both will be: no
  • What harm has actually been done?

  • This really hurts my self esteem, and it reminds me of the painful fact that the world is unfair, and I deserve better.
  • Am I expecting something from this person or situation that is unrealistic?

  • What's the worst (and best) that could happen?  What's most likely to happen?

  • I won't get the interview, I'll lose £25 from counselling. I'll have a hurt ego, it will affect the rest of my applications, it might make me binge, I'll lose money. I'll feel insecure. Some 21 year old fuck with a BA in media from lancaster or bullshit university will overshadow me and get the role and end up being wildly successful and rise up the social and economic classes, while I work in a menial job that doesn't pay enough for the rest of my life. Is this exercise supposed to make me feel better? It just crystalises my grief
  • Best outcome? I might get the job, they give me a job, and maybe I'll work in policy.
  • Realistic outcome: I go, do okay in the interviews but I still don't get the job.

  • Am I jumping to conclusions about what this person meant?  Am I mis-reading between the lines?  Is it possible that they didn't mean that?

  • Not sure. They invited me because they think I was a good candidate. Application odds probably 1/4 to interview. Realistic interview prospects leading to job? 4*6/50 as a simplified fraction 1/n I guess.
  • What do I want or need from this person or situation?  What do they want or need from me?  Is there a compromise?

  • Is there a compromise? I reschedule the counselling appointment, go to the interview, and get on with my life. I'll try to 'recover' when I don't get the role...
  • What would be the consequences of responding angrily?

  • Back where I begun, except no interview. I guess this is a relevant case of 'better than nothing'.
  • Is there another way of dealing with this?  What would be the most helpful and effective action to take?  (for me, for the situation, for the other person)

  • Reorganise counselling session. Go to interview.

     

    As I was writing up these answers, I emailed the counselling place. Time will tell...

    No comments: