Wednesday, June 10, 2009

compromises

Relationships are characterised by compromises. My girlfriend wants me, tacitly, to give up looking for a PhD and stay with her. I am not inclined to do so: I will better find a job and internship if I'm in a bigger town: especially in terms of oppurtunities for a MA holder. Another thing is that I have found a placement that is advertised that I want to apply to within this week. This advertised vacancy is my last chance at a PhD for now. The 'Gf' said that she will dump me if I go away and she will find someone else. It's a bit upsetting and I think that if we break up I will fall into depression again. On the other hand I am defined (or used to be) by my aspirations. If I give up my aspirations, I might as well not be. It was the very qualities that I had as an aspiriing academic that made me attractive to her, and now I must give that up to keep a relationship.

Either decision will change and define who I am.

Let's see how it goes. In consolation, at least I have this diary of thoughts.

In other news, I went to see the doctor about my persistent skin problem, also my suntan has turned into a sun burn on my shoulders.

No comments: