Thursday, April 2, 2009

saying hello in public

in my stronger moments today I went out to primark to buy some pants and socks (as my current cohort are shredded and worn out). On my way home I saw a woman that I recognised, a family friend. I walked passed her and as I did, I smiled as a greeting. A part of me thought maybe I should ignore her, but I stepped out and faced the possibility of embarrassment to greet her and acknowledge her. I still felt embarrassed because I forced her to greet me as I maintained eye contact.

I wonder if I made her feel awkward. Assuming that I got the right person in mind, she used to be my childminder for a period of a year or two and further to that, she has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer and not the good kind that you get rid of either...

After passing her I thought to myself: you should not be concerned about embarrassing yourself; that may have been the last time you ever saw her.

No comments: