Thursday, April 21, 2011

fucking two tick cunts

I thought I'd share a grievance. I've recently recieved an interview/assessment for a job role with a city council and I told them that I had a disability which affects my motor skills (and most notably writing) which was relevant to how I took the test. Once I told them, they seemed completely unable to understand my needs or how to help, I had to continually repeat myself and state that my dyspraxia means I'm unable to do a written test, and for the first time in a very many years has someone made me feel disabled by their lack of sympathy and almost patronising manner. I'm mostly able to 'pass' as anybody else most of the time (I've got lots of ways to mask my anxiety) as my disabling features are not visible (except if I'm doing something motor skill-ey). I'm so upset about the way I was treated and how nonchalant and unhelpful this HR individual was with accounting for my condition. Perhaps because my disabilities are invisible I hate having to tell people that I do have issues, but spelling it out in such a clear way multiple times to this individual and them basically not being able to understand how it affects this interview is definately going to go against me. I hate when I tell them that I have an issue with handwriting and I'm still put in assessments where there is a pen and paper in front of me. It upsets me so much that these people pretend to be aware and yet still have no clue about how to make minor adjustments. I hate how it puts me in a disadvantage in interviews and assessments, when I am more qualified than most of the other candidates. I almost felt like I wanted to swear at this person giving me an interview, of course that wouldn't have helped my job chances, but do I really want to work in a place that cannot cope with minor adjustments? I know this is nothing compared to more severe cases, but I hate the hypocrisy of a 'two tick' organisation with no clue how to cope with someone who doesn't even have a serious disability. I find it difficult to spell it out when I've made it clear enough that there's an issue with the test. I feel frustrated with no voice. When I feel like I have no voice that cannot even scream, the only alternative is to purge

No comments: