Monday, September 3, 2018

The Dental Hygenist

Dear Diary,

I almost seem to be addicted to Creatine. I am hooked on the lucidity that it gives my mind. I feel so very much alive taking it.

I've also been taking a lot of other supplements and I am eating a lot of protein flapjacks and fancy Gels. I need to try and eat real food as well.

On sunday, I had a plan to go to the Dentist. I haven't been in a few years and unfortunately a large plaque buildup necessitates 2.5 hours with a dental hygenist, I'm about 1.5 hours through. After the dental hygenist does their awful painful work, I'm due to have a few tooth caps, or fillings or whatever they are called.

The dental hygenist injected some really thick needles into my gums. I did cry a little bit. The last two needles I barely felt. I must admit that the hygenist was exceptionally professional. After the session, I was in south London's wilderness and never have been outside so early on a sunday. Against the advice of the dental hygenist (are they doctors?), I went to mcdonalds and had a breakfast wrap with two hash browns. I could barely taste it unfortunately and I also ended up inadvertently chewing on my cheek for some of it. Now I realise why it was ill advised to eat.

When I got home (after playing Pokemons), I fell asleep. I had only slept about 2 hours before going to the dentist. I spent much of last night...actually I don't even know what I was doing. I think I was downloading on the the BBC proms, or clearing up some google keep items?

At the moment I am planning the next week. I have been working on creating procedures for facing the day. Specifically a 'wake up' and 'warm down/evening' procedure. I have copy/pasted them into my gcal agendas for the next few days.

On days like these, when I feel particularly pensive, I look at my 'on this day' for previous years. I thought I'd share a couple of them:


  • 2007 - started purging. Yeah. Not great. Also poignant considering that I'm now getting extensive dental work as a result of that decision. So...yeah.
  • 2017 - The Thing. Yeah. Also...not..great.
  • 2016 - so apparently I've been wearing Kinisio tape as I really fucked my knee badly. I bought a 'wine' coloured pair of chinos (which I no longer wear) and spent £300 at Uniqlo. Another day in that week of 2016, was my last day as a casual before I started my fixed term contract. 5 years of working in the same place, about 3 of them as a casual, 1 as an FTC and 1 as a staffer. I also went to a BBC Prom
When I get back to work tomorrow, it will be close to my 1 year anniversary of being on staff. 

How do I feel about that? 

Good, I guess. But bittersweet. It took a long time to get there. But I did. I'm now in the middle of my friendship group in terms of success and income. Some friends are massively wealthy, others are not, I earn 'normal' money but probably more than my friend who is executive level in the Civil Service. 

Let's think about 2018 as an 'on this day/week', if I did, I'd write the following: 

  • 2018: I went to a BBC Prom: Andras Schiff. This week I also participated in a union wage claim, the proposal by the group was to wager for a pay rise of 5.5% 

No comments: