Wednesday, January 2, 2013

unrelated thought

I hate when people say things like 'I'm a very conifdent person' or 'I'm intelligent/talented', because those things are relative, and someone who is truly an exemplar of confidence can often see through such inadequate attributions. Confidence is an instance of something that can be largely situational, I have friends who have lots of confidence with women, but in academic or intellectual affairs they are very quiet. Myself, I used to find it very easy to speak to crowds, exactly because I am not speaking to an individual person and can find it more impersonal in that way. Many people are said to be confident online more than they are in real life, although it is more a testament of the cultural ubiquity of the internet that an opposing trend emerges that some people are starting to be more confident in real life than online. From a cybersecurity perspective that is a reasonable response.

No comments: