Thursday, May 6, 2010

Election day

Election day

Today was the election. It's been on my mind quite a lot. I may not have written very much about the election on this blog over the past few weeks; but it has weighed in heavy on my mind.

I have considered the place of what future governments may have on policy, economy, environment and education. It's scary how the world is so terrible right now, and an election is the only way to make a change.

Understandably, its a small and insignificant activity; but it is important. I voted lib dem. This morning; I wasn't sure who I was going to vote for, I suppose they call me a 'floating voter'.

I haven't posted much this week due to a distinct lack of energy when I get home from reed. I've not heard from any jobs or PhD application news, which brought me down a bit earlier this week.

Another thing that brought me down is my lack of control when it comes to food. I have been taking laxatives a great deal over the past week and it has really taken an aggressive impact on my body. I have a moment when I feel like I need to shit, and then 20 minutes after I feel that; I really need to shit.

This week something happened that I dreaded a lot. I met a guy at reed who I went to school with. This was a guy that I went to year 7 with; we spent 3 days in a room together, and he was a close friend. He used to play piano and taught me how to play a transliterated version of the 'moonlight sonata'. I didn't even know what it was back then. I quite looked up to what I saw as his superior musical ability.

Eventually I came to grow larger than his boots but the impression of awe, even an immature sense of awe; will immortally last in me. This was a young boy that I ahd a lot in common with and if things were a little different; would have been my best friend.

Now he's a long haired bum who drinks a great deal. He plays in some band with some other wasters and is long term unemployed. I'd despair at him, I do a little. I do feel sorry for him. I am sad that a former friend and an alumnus of jesuit school has done so badly and has been chewed up by the jaws of life.

What upsets me a little more is how similar my life is, despite all my fortunes and oppurtunities; despite my masters degree, despite my good grades and behaviour. I too am a waster. I can't boast, I'm just like him. Unemployed, long term. Struggling and hoping.

One day this sad tragedy of my life story will turn out to be better. I wont have to be a graduate with a masters degree from an elite university struggling to do a job that requires GCSE level intelligence. I've cast my vote, now I get on with the job search. I cant change the world as much as politicians can; but I'll do what I can.

No comments: