Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Gilet

I bought a Gilet at Primark on Monday. I hate primark, because everything is cheap and numerous. That's not the kind of message we should give to the future, of a time when consumption was high and workers were probably oppressed in order to make these cheap clothes. Also I find high street fashion a double edged sword. I like some high street looks and I always want to keep modern, but some things are too edgy and hipster for me.

 

I never thought I'd say this but when I bought the Gilet I felt I had entered a new realm of style and a new era of style in my life. It really fit me, the wooly jumper and the Gilet. It reminded me of the jumper my sister gave me in the winter of 2005-2006, which I wore all the time and because it was so different to what I normally wore I felt it defined a new era in my sartorial life, it was a start, it led to my other rituals of cord trousers and black shirt, but that wasn't yet to come by 2007-2008. Perhaps this gilet will give me a new way to think about how I present myself in clothes.

 

Also I'm reminded of something ugly. Those fucking Jack Wills toffs in my classes as an undergraduate, with their 'yahh' toff accents and their nonchalance of priviledge. They were the darlings of middle england who weren't quite good enough for cambridge, just do a little work and they will get their firsts and work in Goldman sachs. I'm reminded of them because they used to wear those fucking Gilets in lectures and seminars all the time. Now I feel like it has come to the high street the poor plebians can pretend to be like them all false aspirational with a warm midsection and cold arms.

 

Fuck you gilet, for being so warm, fuck you primark, for having occaisional clothes that I actually like.

No comments: