Sunday, July 24, 2011

Pedestal

Dear Diary,

I do not think that I've written on this blog for a few days. My records in fact say 4 days. As it happens, I have done a little bit. I was working a long shift on wednesday, and then I recieved my laptop. I tinkered with it but I was hesitant to use it fully. As the days went on I completed a process of migration of passwords, files, programs and processes in order to make this computer my 'home'. I use a lot of specific programs, and while I was expecting ultimately to return to windows in the distant future, I didn't expect that I'd miss linux so much that I'd resist getting away from my old computer.

I've had sweet memories with my old grey computer. It has been for its shelf life a great workhorse. Now my new laptop is like a woman, prettier and younger. I cannot help but make a patriarchal comparison. Smaller is sleeker, thinner, less weight, but smarter, and with more bling. I just hope she brings me joy for as long as the old grey. I've finally completed my migration, the most annoying process was the part where I needed to enter passwords and my bookmarks. I've even put my put my addons for firefox in the way that I like it. On my desk, I have at the centre, a laptop fan, and I've not until today put the new laptop on the main fan. The fan is positioned like a pedestal and in this transition period I resisted putting it on the pedestal until today. I was resistant I suppose because this is the final position for any laptop to have on my desk. Now it is officially my main laptop. Using a new laptop is symbolic. It's a transition, it is, I would hope, a step in a new world. I suspect that as I get used to this new computer it will cease to be a novelty and it will be business as usual. I really hope so, I've got a whole lot of things to do, and it wont do itself.

I also had a great time this weekend, but since my post didn't go through earlier today I will talk about it another time. Let's just say that my mood between when I last posted to today is much better. I am much more enthused and positive, now its just a matter of getting on with it, as my piano teacher used to say. I miss him a lot.

No comments: