Saturday, December 6, 2008

Baby pictures

In an attempt to free up some computer space, I have been uploading things onto Picassa/Google photos, and videos onto youtube. One thing I noticed is that I have a large amount of pictures of my newest addition to the family.

I remember a friend of mind once told me that when a baby comes into the family, everything changes; you want to show everyone your baby pictures and show the whole world how adorable the little one is.

I however, have always been afraid of babies and children generally. As a contextual comparison, consider the way that the Terminator looked at the little baby in Terminator 2, with complete bemusement and ambivalence. How is it that one is to talk to a baby? I really don't like that baby talk stuff, it's demeaning both to the baby and the adult.

My sister said that talking to a baby helps more than just looking at them. Just looking at them scares a baby (apparently); if i had someone just looking at me and talking about me without acknowledging me, I'd feel pretty objectified.

I do quite like baby pictures. I like how a photograph takes an instance, although there is little interpretation involved compared to normal portraiture, the marking of change in itself is a art itself. I suppose the individual photo gains currency by either the world around it, or other similar photographs.

No comments: