Monday, August 18, 2008

Applying to Monty Hall

That's a phrase that the guy said. I hope we are not wasting your time. I went to a viewing today.

Didn't get it.

But; I'm trying to be positive.

Today I went to view a flat that I wanted to live in. Also, got a reply from a job application

Didn't get either of them. Kind of feel sad about that....cos It took my a lot of effort to get out of bed today and go to the viewing

The positive thing is...

it's all probability.

In studies of probability there is a thing called the monty hall problem:

Imagine a game show, where you are given three boxes; two have nothing in it; one of them has a prize. The likelyhood is 1/3 to get the prize. You pick a box, one of the boxes is shown NOT to have the prize. So, if you change your box; you get a 1/2 chance of getting the prize. But....if you keep going and stick with your current box; you get 1/3 because you picked originally one of three...but, one is removed; so the knowledge you have is 1/3 + 1/3 because you have new information.

So sticking through with the box you have and keep going...gets you 2/3 instead of changing your mind and getting 1/2.

That's my positive...if I keep going, I'm gonna get lucky

I'm gonna be positive...i'm crying right now and i'm sad...but one more rejection means one less rejection until I get the place I can live in, till I get the job I can work in...

I hope I get into my PhD programme

No comments: