Friday, September 9, 2022

 Dear Diary,


It's just almost an hour after midnight. It's Friday. On the day just passed by, Thursday, Her Royal Majesty, Elizabeth II has died. It is an utterly emotional moment for the country. It was exceptionally tense in the country. I work at a news organisation and we had contingency plans set in place. 


When I think of the Queen I think of my godmother who died 10 years ago almost exactly 10 years ago. Aunty wanted to watch Strictly and wanted to see Royal family news when she was in the hospice. It was like the quaint Britishness and institutions that kept her feeling stable. Aunty knew she was doing to die in hours but just watching TV even if she couldn't focus, was her way of holding it together. That's what the Queen meant for me and my immigrant family. We came from turbulent circumstances and worked hard to keep the house warm and food on the table. The Royal Family represented this abstract idea. Now with its greatest monarch gone the idea of royal family is basically a generation or two from extinction. Now we just don't really care anymore. 


There's been a lot of whatsapp chatter today. The cartoonist at work did really really well. I did some due dilignennce if there's an emergency supplement. Today's been overwhelming as heck. The BBC has gone full royal. So has the news organisation I work for for that matter.

No comments: