Tuesday, February 18, 2020

17 February: over the years

I came across a day that I feel has some kind of cosmic significance. February 17 over the years:

2009: My graduation. In absentia. I think I regret not going to my MA ceremony now.

For the longest time I had a belief that I'd see a graduation ceremony again. Perhaps not...

2014: I went to see Pascal and Ami Roge perform the music of Ravel in Maida Vale. When I got home I did some preparations for a big dinner that I cooked for the badminton guys. To this day I still remember cooking that meal.

I realise that there was 5 years between my graduation and that concert. Those 5 years feel further apart than the 6 years since 2014. Like a bell curve or something

2015: I'm working on the features desk. It was really busy working as a casual editorial assistant. I get the impression that I was working on a lot of sections at that time and it felt really good having lots of work opportunities coming my way. I left a note asking future me what I'm doing in present day.

Well 2015 me: Suzy on features sits 2 desks behind me. I'm not a senior assistant and cartoon editor and I make 3 times the amount that I did 5 years ago. Despite this I realise that I'm still a way off the mortgage ladder and even though I have savings I am not in the best of ways health wise. Perhaps things are good but I'm looking at things through the eye of the needle at the moment. Let's carry on

2018: I buy a pusheen duvet set. I still have it. I am having night terrors. I went to LBT but not the other saturday classes. I have a new weekend routine because of [redacted].

Perhaps I should move on.

2020: The manager at work emailed to say she's taking me off of one of my sections. I've been working on that section for over 4 years and now I'm leaving. I feel a bit sad about that. I feel anxious too, threatened, even. I wonder if this will be a positive....

A lot in 11 years. I'm a completely different person. Here's to another 11.

0004
18/02/2020

No comments: