Monday, November 19, 2007

Triggers

A trigger is something that reminds you of a painful or difficult experience. Sometimes when people talk about mental illness, it is a trigger for those who have come across it in the past. If, for example, you had a loved one named Caroline who recently died; and you met a lady named Caroline, you shall associate her (or her name) with your loved one; and feel sorrow; and that is how a trigger operates.

I have had triggers since my incarceration. Things reminding me of the hospital; or things leading up to it. More often, triggers come to me in normal social contact with people; sometimes I pause, or some tears suddenly well within me. I don't know how to expose all the triggers. Let me list some of them:

i. People who look like my incarcerators
ii. Mentioning people who go to hospital
iii. Mentioning mental illness
iv. Low quality food
v. Certain phrases (such as 'I'm on your side')
vi. Certain smells
vii. Certain facial characteristics
viii. Certain names

No comments: